- No doubt the the R1m capped exemption on foreign income (commencing for SA tax resident Expats) will be the most debated and discussed topic.
- Living as an Expat has so many other tax and exchange control issues to be addressed and therefore the focus will not be exclusively on #ExpatTax #Tax2020 #financialemigration vs. #taxemigration
8-14 January 2020
For Istanbul diary follow this link: Online diary Turkey
15- 23 January 2020
For the UAE diary follow this link and note note 21 Jan 2020 is in Abu Dhabi
The February 2019 SARS tax returns are due end January 2020.
Provisional tax I hear you ask? Yes, tax residents employed outside SA and tax non-residents are deemed provisional taxpayers! No question, if you live in the UAE and you our NOT employed by a SARS registered employer, you need to file provisional tax returns!!
- At the 2019 Tax Indaba Hugo spoke about about the uniqueness of the UAE treaty. He also covered the tax exemption for expat Pilots and Cabin Crew working for Emirates Etihad Qatar Airlines ea.
- Wish to make an appointment? Go to my online diary on ONLINE DIARY FOR UAE 2020/01
- Welcome to share my diary with friends and pilots. https://calendly.com/taxforum/uaesept?month=2019-09&back=1
- Do not believe the articles and publications suggesting all SA Expats face a new tax charge as of 1 March 2020 (#Tax2020) Financial Emigration is not what it is advertised to be.
- #financialemigration is nothing more a brand name like #taxmigration is my brand name. Sadly, the aggressive marketing of the brand name leads many to believe it is a SARB and or SARS sanctioned process or requirement. Wrong! At best a fusion of the terms formally emigrate and tax exit or emigrate, which dangerously leaves the impression that it is tick the minimum requirement box. So far from the truth.
- Need clarification on the confusion between a brand a TAX status change? Read #taxmigration vs. #financialemigration
#financialemigration does not exist in law, FACT!
- The official guidelines refer to “formally emigrating” which is ONLY relevant for banking status and the right to cash out your retirement annuity before age 55. The tax law refers to “the date immediately before the day on which that person so ceases to be a resident”. You cease to be a resident for tax purposes, because of your tax residency status in the UAE. Ordinarily tax resident despite, the treaty trumps and you need not fake breaking ordinarily resident status by paying for hashtagfinancialemigration
- You need assistance to ensure you taxfile on time before 31 January 2020? Block your appointment now, either as Teamviewer or Zoom meeting during 2019 or see diary link below for January 2020 UAE visit
- Wish to make an appointment for January 2020? Why not, we can move it around to suit your new year’s plans. For now, ensure you have a slot by visiting My Online Diary – don’t worry you will receive regular reminders